A list post is an article in a list format. It lists a number of reasons, tips, methods, shortcuts, secrets, types, ways, trends. Next to the infographic, it is the most popular post format in terms of social shares. Also called listicles, they give an all-around view of a topic.
According to BuzzSumo’s research, the most popular list-posts had the following number of items: 10, 23, 16, and 24 (in this exact order).
Why A List Post Is Fun
A list-post on any blog is a fun project for three reasons:
- If you are blogging within a niche, then you just have to do a list-post sometime – as it is an extremely popular format with inbuilt bragging rights for showcasing the ‘abstracting’ skills of the author, coupled with the advantages of a quick ‘heads-up’ of the goings-on. That is, it is easily scannable to the roving eye.
- You get a pushover motivation from another blogger.
- And, of course, this kind of post can do a carpet-bomb style of outreach to those multitasking readers who are extremely busy with their schedules.
I feel for anyone soul who arrives at this post but does not read one extra word beyond the list of subheadings in the article, it would be equally fine for all of us — the reader and the writer. The reader would have gathered his arrows, and the writer would be beaming to have got the crux across within the span of a blink-feed! World peace, indeed.If you're niche-blogging, you just have to do a #ListPost sometime – as it's an extremely popular format with inbuilt bragging rights for the author's abstracting skills, with the advantages of a quick heads-up of the goings-on. Click To Tweet
Some of our popular list posts are:
- 6 Sleep Hacks That Work | Tips To Better Sleep
- 7-Step Mindfulness Meditation For Beginners
- 8 Steps To A Remarkably Satisfying Life
- 9 Terrific Tips To Say ‘No’ Without Hurting/Being Rude
- 10 Steps: How To Forgive Someone Who Keeps Hurting
- 11 Proven Ways To Have A Positive Mindset
• • •
Author Bio: Sandip Roy–a medical doctor, psychology writer, happiness researcher. Founder of Happiness India Project, and chief editor of its blog. Writes pop-sci articles on psychology and philosophy.
• Our story: Happiness India
√ If you enjoyed this, please share it on Facebook or Twitter or LinkedIn.