This is perhaps the best collection of the most famous positive psychology quotes in the world. We gave a lot of our sweat and blood to create this post of inspirational quotes, drawing from the esoteric world of psychologists. It is immensely satisfying to see it come to be loved by millions of people.
And it has been copied and re-posted at hundreds of other places on the internet, and frankly, we don’t mind. We want the good word to spread far and wide. We’re happy this is the first and the original of its kind.
We recently made a nifty video of all the positive psychology quotes here that also went viral on Facebook. Find the YouTube video link at the end of this post.
We tried to include everyone that is Who’s Who of Positive Psychology. We also included “psychological” quotes by some giants who are not positive psychologists or even psychologists, but without those of their words, our world would have been poorer.
As we searched through the publicly available resources, the journey became increasingly fascinating and we rushed to include Carl Rogers, Abraham Maslow, Sigmund Freud, and Carl G. Jung.
We also went a little adventurous and included some great quotes from people who were or are inspirational masters of their trade, but incidentally not from the world of psychology, as Nick Vujicic, H. H. Dalai Lama (author of The Art of Happiness), Paul Romer, and even rock ‘n’ roll legend Kurt Cobain.
We briefly point it out here it was in 1998 that positive psychology was formally introduced to the world by Martin Seligman along with Christopher Peterson, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, and Ed Diener. By the way, it was Abraham Maslow who coined the phrase ‘positive psychology’ in 1954.
This post turned out to be a viral post containing the greatest collection of Positive Psychology quotes ever. We feel ever too humbled and grateful.
This post has seen 1,006,505 (one-million-plus) hits as early as Oct 2016. As of that date, it has been shared virally all over the social media, with Facebook shares clocking at 3,600, Twitter at 551, LinkedIn at 403, and Pinterest at 725. Making it by far the most widely shared ‘Positive Psychology Quotes’ post ever on the internet.
So, if you are searching for some quotes to get yourself into a positive mood today, or wanting to share with someone a positive motivation, we ask you to begin here.
Scroll though these awe-inspiring quotes from some of psychology’s best-recognized thinkers. Post one of these on your social networks, so your followers get their positive boost.
Keep this page bookmarked, as you’d want to return to them again and again.
Enjoy these 50 Greatest Quotes on Positive Psychology. And please share it further and farther.
50 Greatest Positive Psychology QuotesThe aim of Positive Psychology is to catalyze a change in psychology from a preoccupation only with repairing the worst things in life to also building the best qualities in life. - Martin Seligman Click To TweetHappiness is an ongoing process of fresh challenges, and… it takes the right attitudes and activities to continue to be happy. - Ed Diener Click To TweetA joyful life is an individual creation that cannot be copied from a recipe. - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi Click To TweetIf positive psychology teaches us anything, it is that all of us are mixture of strengths and weaknesses. No one has it all, and no one lacks it all. - Christopher Peterson Click To TweetThe good life is best construed as a matrix that includes happiness, occasional sadness, a sense of purpose, playfulness, and psychological flexibility, as well autonomy, mastery, and belonging. - Robert Biswas-Diener Click To TweetAs for the future, it remains unwritten. Anything can happen, and often we are wrong. The best we can do with the future is prepare and savor the possibilities of what can be done in the present. - Todd Kashdan Click To TweetIt is not primarily our physical selves that limit us but rather our mindset about our physical limits. ― E. Langer Click To TweetLove is that micro-moment of warmth and connection that you share with another living being. - B. Fredrickson Click To TweetWhile some pain is probably inevitable in all relationships, successful couples are usually the ones who are able to forgive. - Ilona Boniwell Click To TweetEverything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way. - Viktor Frankl Click To Tweet
• Did you know people with a positive mindset have these 6 traits: MOGRAH: Mindfulness 2. Optimism 3. Gratitude 4. Resilience 5. Acceptance 6. Honesty? Learn what most of your friends wouldn’t know about building a positive attitude.The good life is a process, not a state of being. - Carl Rogers Click To TweetLove and work are to people what water and sunshine are to plants. - Jonathan Haidt Click To TweetFor happy people, time is 'filled and planned'. For unhappy people time is unfilled, open and uncommitted; they postpone things and are inefficient. - Michael Argyle Click To TweetNothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it. - Daniel Kahneman Click To TweetThe highest and most beautiful things in life are not to be heard about, nor read about, nor seen but, if one will, are to be lived. - Søren Kierkegaard Click To TweetCompassion is one of the few things we can practice that will bring...happiness to our lives. - Dalai Lama Click To TweetWe all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk @chuckpalahniuk Click To TweetWe need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth. - Virginia Satir Click To TweetIf you plan on being anything less than you are capable of being, you will probably be unhappy all the days of your life. - Abraham Maslow Click To Tweet
• If you’re new to positive psychology, then read our summary of the book that tells us how to stop the pursuit of happiness, and instead learn to create our own: An Insightful Summary of The How of Happiness.Unhappiness is best defined as the difference between our talents and our expectations. - Edward de Bono Click To TweetWe need each other. The sooner we learn that, it is better for us all. - Erik Erikson Click To Tweet
Life isn’t is about having, it’s about being. You could surround yourself with all that money can buy, and you’d still be as miserable as a human can be. I know people with perfect bodies who don’t have half the happiness I’ve found. …The “if I just had X, I would be happy” syndrome is a mass delusion. When you look for happiness in mere objects, they are never enough. Look around. Look within. – Nick VujicicLife isn't is about having, it's about being. When you look for happiness in mere objects, they are never enough. Look around. Look within. - Nick Vujicic Click To TweetThe truth is, bad things don't affect us as profoundly as we expect them to. That's true of good things, too. We adapt very quickly to either. - Daniel Gilbert Click To TweetWhen we encounter an unexpected challenge of threat the only way to save ourselves is to hold on tight to the people around us and not let go. - Shawn Achor @shawnachor Click To TweetHappiness is not out there for us to find. The reason that it's not out there is that it's inside us. Click To TweetHappiness, not money or prestige, should be regarded as the ultimate currency — the currency by which we take measure of our lives. - Tal Ben-Shahar @talbenshahar Click To TweetVulnerability is not weakness. And that myth is profoundly dangerous. - Brené Brown @brenebrown Click To TweetHope has proven a powerful predictor of outcome in every study we've done so far. - Charles R. Snyder Click To TweetEvery person...is full of great possibilities that can be realized through imagination, effort, & perseverance. - Scott Barry Kaufman @sbkaufman Click To TweetThe best way to find out whether you're on the right path? Stop looking at the path. - Marcus Buckingham Click To Tweet
• Do you hesitate to utter “No” at work, to your friends, your family members? Are you a people-pleaser, and find it hard to refuse anyone? Then catch our definitive guide on How To Say No Without Hurting Anyone Or Feeling Guilty.Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise. - Sigmund Freud Click To TweetFollow your dreams. Figure out where you’d like to be, what you would like to be doing, and then figure out what you need to do to get there. - Ken Sheldon Click To TweetBecoming is better than being. - Carol S. Dweck Click To TweetEven a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. - Carl Jung Click To TweetGenuine feelings cannot be produced, nor can they be eradicated. We can only repress them, delude ourselves, and deceive our bodies. The body sticks to the facts. - Alice Miller Click To TweetDiscussing positive experiences leads to heightened well-being, increased overall life satisfaction and even more energy. - Nathaniel Lambert Click To TweetHappiness is the only thing that multiplies when you share it. - Albert Schweitzer Click To TweetBe content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. - Lao Tzu Click To TweetIt's more selfless to act happy. - Gretchen Rubin Click To Tweet
• Did you ever experience your wish manifesting as your reality? That is called self-fulfilling prophecy in psychology. Actually, the law of attraction was built around this concept. Know it all here.We can regret less and be grateful for what is good in life. - Barry Schwartz Click To TweetThe difference between misery & happiness depends on what we do with our attention. - Sharon Salzberg Click To TweetExtroversion is an enormously appealing personality style, but we've turned it into an oppressive standard to which most of us feel we must conform. - Susan Cain Click To TweetWhen we are grateful, we affirm that a source of goodness exists in our lives. - Robert Emmons Click To TweetCompassion does not render people tearful idlers, moral weaklings, or passive onlookers but individuals who will take on the pain of others, even when given the chance to skip out on such difficult action or in anonymous conditions. - Dacher… Click To TweetWhat stress really does, though, is deplete willpower, which diminishes your ability to control those emotions. - Roy F. Baumeister Click To TweetA crisis is a terrible thing to waste. - Paul Romer Click To TweetDenial is a useful defense mechanism until it's not. - Rosalind Kaplan Click To TweetHappy marriages are based on a deep friendship, mutual respect and enjoyment of each others' company. - Gottman Click To TweetWhen we are open to new possibilities, we find them. Be open and skeptical of everything. - Todd Kashdan @toddkashdan Click To TweetI'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. - Kurt Cobain Click To Tweet
• Now that you found interest in positive psychology, you must learn about these 5 Habits of Happiness Backed by Science.
We might have missed a whole lot of quotes that should have never been overlooked. We apologize. Please drop us a mail to say which positive psychology quote we have missed. Thank you in advance.
And, yes, Todd Kashdan makes double appearance.
When we think back, our greatest challenge was to create this psychology quotes post in a format people could come back to again and again, and be psyched and motivated each time.
So, we created this around a structure of picture quotes. This was as much shareable as memorable. Another similar post we created (and you’d love it) is this: 50+5 Overthinking Quotes From All Over At One Place.
We are humbled by your love for this post. Please keep your love on and share it further and farther. Thank you forever.
And here below is a nifty video of the above post — watch and share with pleasure and joy:
• • •
Author Bio: Sandip Roy is psychology writer, happiness researcher, and medical doctor. Founder of Happiness India Project, and chief editor of its blog. He writes popular-science articles on positive psychology and related topics.
√ A Courteous Call: If you enjoyed this, please share it on Facebook or Twitter or LinkedIn.
This post may contain affiliate links. Disclosure.