Resilience is bouncing back from an adversity, often to a state stronger and better than before.
Growing personal resilience is a vital part of human existence and survival through evolution and upheavals. There are several scientifically proven ways to cultivate and build resilience in people; find out here.
All the while, a quick and effective way to start building resilience is finding a quote that motivates you to take action.
A great quote resonates with you, empowers you, and in time, becomes a secret mantra you can recite in your mind anytime and anywhere. And, of course, we know that oft-repeated words can have powerful effect on your mindset.
Twenty-Three Incredibly Inspiring Resilience Quotes
Here is a list of 23 quotes on resilience to inspire you:
1. Grief and resilience live together. — Michelle Obama
2. A good half of the art of living is resilience. — Alain de Botton
3. Resiliency is the ability to spring back from and successfully adapt to adversity. — Nan Henderson
4. Resilience is based on compassion for ourselves as well as compassion for others. — Sharon Salzberg
5. Resilience or hardiness is the ability to adapt to new circumstances when life presents the unpredictable. — Salvatore R. Maddi
6. Resilience is overcoming adversity, whilst also potentially changing, or even dramatically transforming, (aspects of) that adversity. — Angie Hart
7. Resilience is the strength and speed of our response to adversity — and we can build it. It isn’t about having a backbone. It’s about strengthening the muscles around our backbone. — Sheryl Sandberg
8. Resilience isn’t a single skill. It’s a variety of skills and coping mechanisms. To bounce back from bumps in the road as well as failures, you should focus on emphasizing the positive. — Jean Chatzky
9. Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it’s less good than the one you had before. You can fight it, you can do nothing but scream about what you’ve lost, or you can accept that and try to put together something that’s good. — Elizabeth Edwards
10. To be rendered powerless does not destroy your humanity. Your resilience is your humanity. The only people who lose their humanity are those who believe they have the right to render another human being powerless. They are the weak. To yield and not break, that is incredible strength. — Hannah Gadsby
11. May I have the serenity to accept things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. — The Serenity Prayer by American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr
12. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. — The most famous quote on resilience by the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche
13. But there was no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bore witness that a man had the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer. — Viktor Frankl (1905-1997), psychiatrist, Holocaust survivor, and author of the all-time favorite classic Man’s Search for Meaning
14. When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves. — Viktor Frankl
15. Those who have a ‘why’ to live, can bear with almost any ‘how’. — Viktor Frankl
16. I spent my young adult years postponing many of the small things that I knew would make me happy… I was fortunate enough to realize that I would never have the time unless I made the time. And then the rest of my life began. ― Christopher Peterson, Positive Psychologist
17. It is really wonderful how much resilience there is in human nature. Let any obstructing cause, no matter what, be removed in any way, even by death, and we fly back to first principles of hope and enjoyment. ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
18. The human capacity for burden is like bamboo – far more flexible than you’d ever believe at first glance. ― Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper
19. It’s your reaction to adversity, not adversity itself that determines how your life’s story will develop. ― Dieter Friedrich Uchtdorf
20. The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed. ― Ernest Hemingway
21. Rock bottom became the solid foundation in which I rebuilt my life. ― J.K. Rowling
22. She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails. ― Elizabeth Edwards
23. Sometimes carrying on, just carrying on, is the superhuman achievement. ― Albert Camus
Ten Scientific Ways To Build Resilience
Resilience is not a fixed trait. It is dynamic, and we can develop and build it in ourselves.
The American Psychological Association (APA) suggests the following 10 ways to build resilience.
- to maintain good relationships with close family members, friends and others
- to avoid seeing crises or stressful events as unbearable problems
- to accept circumstances that cannot be changed
- to develop realistic goals and move towards them
- to take decisive actions in adverse situations
- to look for opportunities of self-discovery after a struggle with loss
- to develop self-confidence
- to keep a long-term perspective and consider the stressful event in a broader context
- to maintain a hopeful outlook, expecting good things and visualizing what is wished
- to take care of one’s mind and body, exercising regularly, paying attention to one’s own needs and feelings
A Video of Resilience Quotes
Here is a short video of the resilience quotes to motivate you to bounce back:
Sheryl Sandberg, the billionaire philanthropist and Chief Operating Officer of Facebook, writes in the book she co-authored with Adam Grant, Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, And Finding Joy:
We all encounter hardships. Some we see coming; others take us by surprise. It can be as tragic as the sudden death of a child, as heartbreaking as a relationship that unravels, or as disappointing as a dream that goes unfulfilled. The question is: When these things happen, what do we do next?
So, stand up back and keep going through these hardships. Make one of these your mantra to chant during these times to bolster your inner being. You are a resilient one, in body and mind and spirit.
This post may contain affiliate links. Disclosure.